Friday, July 25, 2014

Home is the Hangman by Roger Zelazny

I've never been much of a science fiction reader except for short stories.  I can take the technology in short doses, but in reading the shorts I've discovered that the best sci-fi isn't about the gadgets but the people who inhabit the worlds created by the authors.  "Home is the Hangman" is a perfect example.  The story is about a rogue robot called the Hangman, but everything comes back to the humans involved in creating him.  What also drew me to this book is the combining of a detective story with science fiction.

What really surprised me in reading this novella was how back in 1975 Zelazny very nearly has described the world we're living in today.  Such imagination!  Well worth the read if you can find a copy.  My copy is a hardback from the Science Fiction Collection Book Club that I found at a recent book sale.

I first discovered Zelazny through a short story called "Kalifriki of the Thread" and I've been on the lookout for other work by him ever since.  Any recommendations?

6 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

That is indeed a great story. It inspired me toward a piece that I've never finished but may eventually complete. I think the best SF has always been about the people. At least the most memorable. "Flowers for Algernon," "The Cold Equations," "Nightfall," "The Nine Billion Names of God," "The Country of the Kind." If there area any of those you haven't read I'd highly recommend them.

sandra seamans said...

Yes to "Flowers for Algernon" - what a great story! I don't think I've read the others, Charles, but I be sure to look them up. Thanks!

Elizabeth said...

I love Zelazny. See if you can find his wonderful story "The Great Slow Kings" ... I'm wishing I still had a copy.

sandra seamans said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Elizabeth!

Robert Lopresti said...

Read zelazny's short story For a
Breath I Tarry. My favorite kind if SF.

sandra seamans said...

I'll be on the look out for this one, Rob. Thanks!