Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Unraveling a Story

So, I'm writing along, really getting into the swing of the story when I suddenly realized that I had "put a gun on the mantel" in the form of a character in one of the opening scenes. It's a great scene that I don't want to cut from the story because it shows so much about my protag, but to not continue this confrontation between the characters seems like cheating the reader and would leave loose threads in the story.

I'm not sure exactly how to fit this character into the unfolding drama but I know that it needs to be there because it's important to the story. Has this ever happened to you? You know, when a minor, chance meeting, character suddenly needs to become a bigger part of your story.

4 comments:

Al Tucher said...

Could it be that you have the makings of two stories?

sandra seamans said...

No, it's just one story, Al, the minor character is the reason the protag is having so much trouble. I just don't see how she can fit into the solution but there has to be some kind of closure with her character. I'm just not seeing it yet. :)

G. B. Miller said...

I did with book that I'm currently shopping.

I originally made a debt collector a very minor character, sort of a drive by so to speak.

But I soon realized that he needed to become a integral part of the story, otherwise the story really wouldn't have the improved ending that the character helped create.

sandra seamans said...

Isn't it strange how those minor characters suddenly take on a life of their own, G?