Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bidding Farewell

Yesterday, while the world was celebrating the death of a terrorist, our neighbor died in a car accident. We just found out late this morning. The world will remember bin Laden forever but only her family and friends will remember Martha. She was only forty-eight years old.

I know that bin Laden and his ilk will continue to creep into many a thriller novel and I hope that one day Martha will find her way into one of my short stories. Her life deserved to be more. RIP little girl.

7 comments:

Thomas Pluck said...

My condolences to you and the girl's family. We read and write such tragedy every day but the real thing is always a true terror to see.

David Cranmer said...

And you and I were just talking about neighbors on my blog! My condolences on the lost of Martha, Sandra.

Chris said...

Sorry to hear it, Sandra.

sandra seamans said...

You're right, Thomas, as crime writers we write about murders but tend not to dwell on the aftermath and the horror it visits on families.

I was thinking that exact thought when I heard the news, David.

Thanks, Chris, we weren't close, but I watched her grow up and raise a family of her own. I'll miss seeing her and knowing she's across the valley on the other hill.

Naomi Johnson said...

My condolences to you and to Martha's family.

pattinase (abbott) said...

When I was twenty-two, with a new baby in hand, my friend's husband, also in his twenties and the father of a new baby, died in a car accident. He was less than a mile from home. It was a incredible shock.
It still sends chills down my back. Such an ordinary mission to end like that.

sandra seamans said...

I think traffic accidents are the worse, Patti. I've lost quite a few friends that way over the years and it's always a shock.