Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Waxing Philosophical

I've got a birthday coming up this month, one of those with a big 0mg at the end of it, so when I ran across this quote last night I thought, "Hell, Yes!".

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used-up, totally worn-out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!" --Anonymous

After reading that, my thoughts immediately jumped to writing. And yes, every story we read should make us feel like that. I want that used-up feel, not just when I read, but when I write a story. I want that wiped-out satisfied feeling that I've stepped outside of my comfort zone and written a story that will blow the doors off a reader's mind. That's not too much to ask of oneself, is it?

I found a flash story the other day that just took my breath away. "Free" by Ian Ayris http://thrillskillsnchills.blogspot.com/2010/08/free-by-ian-ayris.html Drop on over and have a read, it's well worth the trip.

And a bit of news I've been sitting on since April 1st. Someone should explain to editors that April Fool's day isn't the perfect time to deliver such news! I've only mentioned this to a few people because things don't always pan out between the editor's desk and a publisher's print run. But, hell, my name is listed, there on the page, with all those real writers! http://www.tyrusbooks.com/books/BHOBC.htm To say that I'm thrilled is an understatement.

10 comments:

Paul D Brazill said...

Congratulations, Sandra. What a cracking collection to be part of.
And yes, Ian's story is a gem.
he's got a blog now, too.
here:
http://ianayris.blogspot.com/

David Cranmer said...

Ian hit my radar in a big way in the last week and I'm glad to see he's blogging.

Those writers are lucky to be included with you.

And turning forty is no big deal these days. :)

sandra seamans said...

And look at you, Paul, you've snagged a spot in the Mammoth Book of Best British Crime! We could do an arms across the ocean Snoopy Dance!!

Yeah, 40 would be nice. You need to add a couple of decades to that, David! Funny thing is, I wouldn't want to go back and have a do-over, I like where I am.

Charles Gramlich said...

Oh that is cool. Congrats!

Chris said...

Great quote, and great news! Well-earned, Sandra!

David Cranmer said...

I'm the same way. Each decade is getting better.

Al Tucher said...

That's an A-list anthology, Sandra, and you deserve to be there. Congrats!

Naomi Johnson said...

Congratulations, Sandra! That has to be a sky-high feeling.

Ian sort of came out of nowhere and blew the doors off the online zines, didn't he? There's a low-key menace to his writing that puts me in mind of Woolrich.

Barb Goffman said...

Congratulations, Sandra! Very proud of you.

sandra seamans said...

Thanks, guys!

I so fell in love with that quote, Chris, I just had to share.

You're right about Ian, Naomi, I expect we'll be seeing a lot more of his stories. I really loved the voice in that piece, you could feel the world choking the life out of that character!