Monday, August 9, 2010

Zine-Scene

Over the weekend I found a new website that intrigued me. It's called Zine-Scene http://zine-scene.com/ I love their mission statement which reads: "The mission of Zine-Scene is to question the system that values print publication over electronic publication in the literary world today. Good literature is good literature, no matter the format!"

Along with author and online zine profiles, Zine-Scene will be launching their own zine called "The Reprint". They're looking for short stories up to 8000 words published in print magazines, but they must have been published at least twelve months ago. They have an online form for submissions. This is a non-paying market but if you've got a story gathering dust that needs new readers this could be your chance to get it out there. The web-site will go live with content on October 4 and the zine will launch on November 1st.

I emailed editor, Richard Mocarski, asking if this was strictly literary reprints or if genre were welcome at "The Reprint" also. Here's his response:

"Sandra,

Thanks for your interest!

I don't really like the term genre fiction. Good work is good work and I won't deny something just because it comes from a certain school. I stopped by your site and looked at your links and I can tell your on the same wave length as me (Pank, The Collagist, Fiction Daily, Storyglossia, etc) with leanings more toward the genre end. I will say that if I do publish something that is "genre" fiction, it will have to transcend the genre to be just good fiction. But, I believe all authors aspire to this.

So, in a nutshell, come one come all. I will say that at the end of the day, my tastes are going to show my familiarity with literary fiction, but I will not hesitate to make exceptions when they are needed (as an example, did you see Matt Bell's story in the last Conjunctions?).

Richard"

I tracked down the link to Matt Bell's story http://www.conjunctions.com/archives/c53-mb.htm This will give you an idea of the type of writing Mr. Mocarski is looking for.

As this site evolves, I expect it will become an excellent resource for finding markets and being able to see exactly what the editors of the featured zines are looking for. Good luck with your site, Mr. Mocarski!! It's great to have another short story source on the web.

No comments: