Tuesday, August 3, 2010

And Finally, Links

Yes, this is my third post of the day and no, I'm not procrastinating, just getting side-tracked.

Back a while ago I mentioned the problem some writers were having with Night Shade Press, a small publisher that was growing faster than they could keep up. This essay by publisher, Alisa Krasnostein, from Twelfth Planet Press gives a great overview of what these small publishers need to do in order to operate their press as a business. And let's face it, a press is a business and should be treated as one from the very beginning when they open their doors. http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/2010/08/02/10-important-things-ive-learned-about-indie-publishing/

Richard Wheeler has been formatting his published work to get it ready for publication as e-books. I've been enjoying his posts as he goes about rewriting these works. He readily admits that he's an over-writer and he shares how he's been cutting and changing his books for the new market. It makes for some very educational reading on how to edit your own work. http://www.richardswheeler.blogspot.com And I have to admit that I envy his chance to rewrite his work - its an author's dream to always make the story better.

And we have a new short story blog making an appearance on the web. Chris Rhatigan will be blogging about short stories over at Death by Killing http://death-by-killing.blogspot.com He says he'll be doing reviews, discussing short story writing, and linking to shorts on the web. Stop on by and say "hey!".

3 comments:

Ron Scheer said...

I've been following Richard Wheeler's posts, too, and happen to be reading one of his novels now. I wonder, as I read, how he would revise the pages I'm reading.

Chris Rhatigan said...

Thanks for the link!

sandra seamans said...

I grabbed one of his books this last weekend and I think I'll probably be doing the same thing, Ron.

You're welcome, Chris! It's always great to find blogs about shorts. They don't get much attention, especially in the mystery genre.