Saturday, July 24, 2010

Musings from the Storm

Another storm walloped its way through our area again last night. We had strong winds and heavy downpours, the usual thunderstorm, but on the other side of the mountain, they got hit with tornado-like winds. A mobile home was shredded, trees snapped off, power lines down, and several roof tops headed for Oz. And this was just a mere five miles cross country from where we live. You just never know.

Much of writing is like that. You can have two writers working side by side, with similar styles and stories and one writer will hit it big while the other just labors on with only small successes. And that's what writing is, putting the words down, going from story to story, always striving for a better story. We live in hope of connecting with a publishing deal, but for the majority of writers, it's the small successes that keep us going. And the love of the story that keeps us writing.

5 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I'm glad your safe and a fine analogy. At this point, I want to write the best possible story I can.

sandra seamans said...

That's about all the control any of us have in this writing business, David! I think it was Ray Bradbury who said, that if you're good, they'll find you. I live with that hope, but realize the sheer impossibility of it also.

When my husband told me about the tornado warnings, he added, if you see the tornado, bend over and kiss your ass goodbye, cause it will be to late to do anything else! We live with a very warped sense of humor around here :)

pattinase (abbott) said...

It has been quite a summer here too. Right now I am worried my daughter won't get here with this new round of storms. Be careful out there.

Charles Gramlich said...

We are looking at a storm heading our way. Trying to get my blogging in early. GLad you all came through OK.

sandra seamans said...

I hope your daughter gets in safe, Patti!

You've got that tropical storm coming into the Gulf, don't you, Charles? Stay safe!

You know, all this talk about weather makes me wonder why writers are told to shun the weather, at least at the start of a story. It affects so many parts of our lives.