Friday, June 4, 2010

Runaway Stories

Every writer's method of getting their story down on paper is different. Sure, there are certain things that have to be in place for a story to be a story, like beginnings, middles and ends. But from that germ of an idea to typing THE END, writers tend to spin their yarns in as many different ways as there are writers. The process of getting there is what makes each writer's story unique.

The story I'm currently working on took a wild side trip on me yesterday but instead of getting out my whip and beating it back into formation, I went with it. What's the it? The story changed genres. What began as a simple story of a modern woman who had been mauled by a bear and was having to deal with the scars, tripped into a Western.

Believability was a big factor as I was mulling over the what's this all about portion of the story. There was a women a year or so ago who got mauled by a bear in her backyard, in a small town near where I live which was the germ idea for me. But how many people are actually going to believe that could happen? We're not talking deep woods, out hiking, we're talking in a town, after dark, letting her dog out to do his business. Would you believe that could happen?

So now my story is a Western. A woman facing off with a bear and somehow a man has walked into the picture and damned if there isn't a little romance starting to trickle in. Romance is my worst genre. I've never sent out a Romance submission that hasn't received a form rejection. But I'm going with the romantic angle, because I can see the scene in my head and know that it's a fit. I know for sure that that particular piece of the story needs to be there.

I know that I could easily change this into a stalker crime story with the bear being a man and the woman fighting back, but I like this new direction. I like the characters I've created and the setting they've chosen to tell their story. So I'll tag along and see what happens.

Will the story find a home when I'm finished? I certainly hope so, but even if it doesn't, this particular story has taught me to go with my instincts - to follow the story wherever it may lead me.

How about you? Ever had a runaway story? Did you follow it through or just beat the story into the shape you wanted?

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

They are usually runaways--not always for the better either. But this one sounds fabulous. Can't wait to read it.

David Barber said...

I start with an idea and then end up with two or three different stories from it. Patti's recent contest is an example. I started with a story that ended up about 2000 words and whilst working on that my actual contest entry was born. Like you say, Sandra, go with the flow. Looking forward to reading your story. Have a great weekend.

Charles Gramlich said...

I often like when the runaways happen, and most often I will go with them, unless it threatens to run really long and I have a limited word count I'm looking for. Later I may take short stories and let them expand to novel length, but I don't typically want that to happen if I set down to write short story.

sandra seamans said...

The word count seems to be a factor for a lot of short story writers, Charles. It's sad that we can't let a story be what it needs to be outside of a word count.

You're right, Patti, its not always for the better but once in a while its worth the side trips.

You have a good weekend, too, David. And going with the flow always seems the best way to write!