Thursday, June 24, 2010

In the Land of Make-Believe

I was out and about this morning running down some links when I came across this post over at CrimeSpace http://crimespace.ning.com/forum/topics/cruelty-to-animals-in-crime Reading through the post I wanted to just scream at this woman to wake up. Does no one see animals for what they really are? Yes, they're cute and cuddly, but they're also wild creatures, from that cute little kitten in your lap to the big bad wolf in your backyard, and they will turn on you without warning because it's their nature. Something people tend to forget.

Now, I'm not advocating killing a bunch of animals in your stories just because you can, that's just plain stupid. But why should readers get so upset when it does happen in the course of a story? It is pretty well documented that serial killers start out small by killing dogs and cats and detectives are going to discover this fact in the course of their investigation. If a robber or a cop walks into a room with an attacking pit bull, should we kill the human and just bury him in the backyard so the dog can live? Will that make our story ring true or will we just be pandering to the sensitivities of the readers?

Like serial killers, animals are predatory, though for different reasons. Like victims, they'll fight back when they or their off-spring are threatened. How do I know this? I've been kicked and bunted by cows when I've gotten between them and their calves. I've been bitten by cats, dogs, horses, and yes, even bunny rabbits, just because they felt threatened by my presence or were having a bad day. I even owned a rooster who tried to scratch my eyes out every time I fed him. I've been stalked by coyotes when I've been out picking blackberries and seen a wolf standing over a deer he'd just taken down by the side of the road. In the woods up back there are bears with babies, we steer clear of them. Animals are a big part of my life and I adore them, but I've also faced the reality that they're no more perfect than I am. We co-exist on this land, but if they threaten my family, I won't hesitate to grab the shotgun.

The Game Commission has recently released mountain lions and wolves into our area and if you go back through the old histories of our county you'll find that, yes, all these creatures were native to the region. You'll also find that they were killed to preserve human life because children were tasty and easier to catch than rabbits and mice. When living with nature's creatures we have to find a balance that works for both. And when writing our stories we need to seek that balance of what's true and real.

Now, I'm not saying that you should go about killing animals in your stories but be aware that sometimes, in some stories, you'll find it necessary. And when you stop to think about it, as a reader, would you rather the cat got killed instead of a child as a warning? Or are human beings more disposable than animals, both in life and in the land of Make-Believe?

10 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

As people get further and further removed from nature they begin to lose perspective on what nature is like, and what animals are like. I love animals too but they should be portrayed realistically in realistic stories.

Brian Lindenmuth said...

I just left a very sarcastic response over there -- I couldn't resist.

I still owe you an email btw

I used to run an irregular feature on my old blog called "Cozy or not" where I would post all of the animal cruelty quotes I came across as a sly dig at these folks.

Hamilton said...

Bravo, Sandra. Couldn't agree more.

David Cranmer said...

I agree with all the above.

sandra seamans said...

I'm afraid that's true, Charles. We teach our children to love animals but we never teach them how dangerous they can be.

It always amazes how offended people are by cruelty to animals, Brian, especially when they're reading crime novels where people are being killed.

Thanks, Hamilton and David! I was afraid they'd be coming after me with a rope. :-)

Naomi Johnson said...

I'm in complete agreement with you, Sandra. Many crime writers strive for realism, and let's face it, animal cruelty exists. And I don't think depicting it in fiction = promoting it in reality. Frankly, I'm a helluva lot more offended by animal detectives. And by that dog in Martha Grimes's THE OLD WINE SHADES, the one that knew the kidnapped children were going to be murdered so he chewed through their restraints and led them to the window to escape. Barf.

Brian, I loved your response.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I can't tell you how often I wait with a friend(s) at the end of movie to make sure no animals were killed in the making of this movie. What about the babies whose parents forced them to make movies at age one?

G. B. Miller said...

Sad part is that some people believe it is better to kill a person than an animal.

Excellent post.

sandra seamans said...

You made me think of "Ben Hur", Patti. Every time they introduce that movie they tell you about the stuntman who died and be sure to watch the chariot scene and watch him get run over. But no horses were hurt in the filming.

I'm with you, Naomi! Rita Mae Brown was a favorite author of mine until she started writing those cat mysteries.

How very true, G, and very sad.

Paul D Brazill said...

I went for a 'twofer' here.
http://thrillskillsnchills.blogspot.com/search?q=ballad+of+the+kid