Thursday, May 27, 2010

Market Notes

Over at Duotrope, I found an anthology that might be of interest to some of you. It's called "Bewere the Night" and it's to be published by Prime (I'm assuming this is Prime Books as there is no link to the publisher in the call. http://www.prime-books.com/ ) The editor is looking for short stories of 1000 to 7000 words about were-creatures in an urban fantasy vein. Original stories will receive 5cents a word, reprints 1cent per word. The deadline is December 31 with a May 2011 publication date. You can find the details at http://squirrel-monkey.livejournal.com/144059.html

Michael Ray, editor of Redstone Science Fiction, dropped by the Corner and left a comment about his magazine. Redstone will be open to submissions on the 1st through the 15th of each month through the summer. So if you're working on a story and afraid you won't make the June deadline, don't worry. http://redstonesciencefiction.com/guidelines It's always nice when editors drop by.

Apex magazine opens for submissions on June 1. They're looking for shorts up to 7500 words. According to their guidelines, they're looking for dark weird stuff in the sci-fi, fantasy and horror genres or a good mix of those genres. The pay is 5cents a word and they will accept reprints from respected zines (a list is in the guidelines) for a $10 flat rate. http://www.apexbookcompany.com/submissions/ They also accept poetry.

Garrison Keillor has an opinion piece up at The Baltimore Sun that I found quite interesting and a bit nostalgic. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/bs-ed-keillor-writing-20100525,0,5036071.story There are days that I miss my typewriter and being able to format a story as I write it. Don't miss the erasing and white-out, though I do miss the whizzy sound of paper being yanked from the barrel feed :)

6 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Seems like your "little corner" is starting to become a "hub."

sandra seamans said...

Nah, just a spoke in the wheel, Charles.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for some excellent links. It is always good to find out something new that is going on.

sandra seamans said...

Welcome to the Corner, Cassandra! I'm always on the lookout for new things to post. It's great fun!

Anita Page said...

Yes,I miss the whizzy sound and also the clang when you got to the end of the line.
Here's what I don't miss: ironing rejected manuscripts so that I could send them out again.

sandra seamans said...

I never thought of ironing them, Anita, I just re-typed if they came back wrinkled and dirty.

I guess it doesn't matter which machine you use, there's something to love and hate about all of them.