Monday, April 5, 2010

Audience Appeal

There are always complaints floating about the Internet about what hits the best seller lists and why. Over at Mysterious Matters there's an essay "Make No Demands On Me" that perfectly describes this phenomenon. http://mysteriousmatters.typepad.com/mysterious_matters_myster/2010/04/make-no-demands-on-me.html

I believe the same thoughts are true for the short story. There's nothing more escapist than the stories in EQ and AHMM. I sometimes think writers tend to forget who their reading audience is or will be when they're submitting their work. I know I'm guilty of doing that.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I think I generally realize that my readers are pretty much like me. at least I think they are.

sandra seamans said...

I think just plain readers are a bit different from writer/readers, Charles. I know in the last few years I feel more and more like tossing books against the walls for the dumb "mistakes" that I see. I used to just sit down and get lost in the words, something that keeps getting harder and harder the more I write.