Saturday, August 15, 2009

Idea Breeding

Story ideas grow out of the most bizarre things. For me I get a picture in my head then tumble it around with a lot of other ideas or cross breed it with something I've heard or read. About a month ago I had a picture of a girl hiding inside a wall (yeah, I'm weird) and I'd crossed it with a home invasion idea. Then over on Rara Avis they started talking about motel noir and my story morphed into this http://www.pulppusher.com/#/sseamans2/4534952635

Where do your ideas come from? And how weird do you get when you're writing?

7 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

Most of my ideas come from listening to the radio, listening to a c.d., walking around town, talking to people and what not.

I think the two funkiest ideas I've come up with so far was writing a story about two stop signs, and writing a story based on a syringe.

sandra seamans said...

Now, two stop signs and a syringe could make for an interesting read, G.

G. B. Miller said...

"Stopped".

http://gbmjr2flashy.blogspot.com/2009/06/stopped.html

"Syringe"

http://gbmjr2flashy.blogspot.com/2009/05/syringe.html

Blog is rated Adult, so you'll have to answer "yes" to read it.

sandra seamans said...

Fun stories, G. Thanks for sharing the links.

G. B. Miller said...

You are most welcome.

Barbara Martin said...

Sandra, an excellent story! Fifteen minutes of bliss.

As for ideas, most times they just appear out of nowhere. I have some 'wierd' scenarios that cannot go into my novel manuscripts, so I'm thinking perhaps some flash fiction.

sandra seamans said...

Flash fiction is great for those wierd ideas. If they don't work out, you haven't lost a lot of work.