Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Who Do You Write For?

Show of hands. How many of you write for yourself? Yep, nearly everyone. Now. How many of you shape the stories you've written to match a market? Yep, nearly everyone. And a last question. How many of you write for the readers?

Silly question? Not so much. I was a little taken aback the other day when I submitted a flash piece to my writing group. One of the gentlemen asked me if I'd sold my soul to the devil because the last two stories I'd submitted were plainly ugly in nature. Not quite how he phrased it, but you get the drift. And this sort of thing has happened to me before.

Is it the fact that I'm a woman that makes these stories so unpalatable for readers? Or do readers just prefer lighter fare? Yes, I can write light, humorous stories. But the market for this type of story is barely there. Romance? Always gets rejected. The stories that sing for me are always of a much darker nature. I love Stephen King's short stories, they scare the bejesus out of me, more so than his novels, but people don't seem to be offended when he writes gruesome stories.

When I write this type of story, I'm trying to strip away the politeness that exists on the surface to really take a look at what happens within society or, most especially in my stories, in families. And I wonder why this scares the readers so much.

Oh, and the story in question is up at Thrillers Killers 'n' Chillers if you'd like to take a read.

3 comments:

Clair D. said...

I think there will always be variations in readers. And some readers will take the author's appearance into account (different expectations if the writer whose story they're reading is a little old lady or a extra-peirced goth kid.)

Some of those readers prefer lighter fare-- or stories without sex or violence. Fair enough.

As I gain more readers and as Bo became known for being willing to use her sex to get her way, I admit to thinking more of the readers and what they might expect from a "Bo Fexler Story." but ultimately, I still write stories that are for my enjoyment.

I have been told by real-life folks that I look like a 'nice girl' and they're often shocked (some pleasantly so, others not) that I write stories with lots of sex and violence. I just smile that secretive smile and remind them that 'it's always the quiet ones.' =)

Barbara Martin said...

I tend to write for myself first and foremost, then tweak the story a bit for market and readers. My preference is for multiple genres within a story, while markets will take two with a third being a stretch.

Some readers of my work were surprised I wrote dark stories when my blog seems to promote beauty and nature. Well, hiding in those trees lurks many sharp toothed beasts just waiting for the unsuspecting nature geek out for a stroll.

Violence and sex are a part of life, both human functions. Perfect for creating conflicts.

sandra seamans said...

Some of the most intesting stories come violence and sex and how they affect our character's lives. You're right, Barbara, they make perfect conflict within a story.