Monday, February 16, 2009

On Tweaking Stories and Other Things

I was tweaking my 880 word flash story this weekend when it suddenly morphed into an 1800 word short story. Well, not suddenly. I was thinking about the story when a thought popped into my brain and I found myself back at the keyboard pounding keys until midnight to get it all down. I love when that happens, that sudden burst of imagination is better than an adrenaline rush, or maybe they're the same thing. Either way the story turned out much better than I expected and after another read through this morning I sent it out. To paraphrase Col. Hannibal Smith, "I love it when a story comes together."

On the reading side I was once again delving into the 1976 Hitchcock Anthology and found two more incredible stories. The first was "Warrior's Farewell" by Edward D. Hock. Hock had an incredible short story output, but I must admit that I wasn't a big fan of what I'd found recently. But this story really sang for me. The story revolved around two soldiers and an incident in Korea that changed their lives. Very fine stuff, indeed.

The second story was "Don't Lose Your Cool" by Dan J. Marlowe. Can this man write noir! This was a dark tale set in prison and only two and half shivery pages long. I'd never read Marlowe, and hadn't heard much about him so I did a search. I almost think this guy is more famous for his life than his writing. His most talked about book is "The Name of the Game is Death" which I will be looking for. For those who'd like to read more about this author here are a couple of urls Http://www.mysteryfile.com/DMarlowe/Drake.html this link also has a review of "The Name of the Game is Death" written by Bill Crider. The other link is http://www.allanguthrie.co.uk/pages/noir_zine/profiles/dan_j_marlowe.php

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the rush. The past couple of weeks have been the same for me. It's the best feeling in the world. You should check out Stark House's a trio of Gold Medals collection for more Marlowe, the Vengeance man is a great piece of writing

sandra seamans said...

Thanks, Keith, I'll be sure and check the Vengeance Man out.

On a side note, my computer died the other day so postings here will be more sporadic than usual. And the story I was so excited about is up at A Twist of Noir!

Unknown said...

I know, I loved it! Hope the computer is back online soon, your little corner has become a regular stop for me.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

I'll be visiting regularly myself. Great piece.

sandra seamans said...

Thanks, guys! It's always nice to know that there are folks dropping by for a visit.