Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Stumbled Upon

The Internet is an excellent tool or a virtual time suck if you're looking for something. I read a short story last night by William Bayer entitled "Mirror Girl" and decided to check out the author. Found his web site and discovered that he'd written quite a number of novels under the name Bayer but also as David Hunt. The Hunt books happened to be two that I'd read and enjoyed.

Anyhoo, there were no short stories listed on the site so I went searching again. I didn't find any shorts but on checking out an interview he did I found a new (to me) mystery market. It's called The New Mystery Reader Magazine and they publish monthly. They accept short stories and articles both and they seem to have been around for quite a while. I put the url in the zine column to the left.

They only publish one short a month so the competition will be stiff for the slots and the top word count is 2500. I know that Scott Parker, Gary Dobbs, and several other readers write great articles on their blogs so maybe this might be a good market for some of your work. No pay, of course, but it might be some great exposure.

Oh yes, and if anyone knows of any other short stories by William Bayer/David Hunt drop me comment. I'd really like to read more of his shorts.

***just a note to say that I've added two more zines to the links on the left. Pine Tree Mysteries and Well Told Tales. Pine Tree is new and seems to lean towards the cozy and Well Told Tales publishes their stories as free podcasts.

5 comments:

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Thanks for the name drop - gary dobbs

Scott D. Parker said...

Thank ye kindly, ma'am.

Like I wrote in the e-mail to you, I was reading your blog this morning and went "Whoa! That's my name." Glad to be in such good company with Gary, too.

sandra seamans said...

You both deserve a shout-out. I love reading your blogs and I've learned so much from both of you. Thank you!

Barbara Martin said...

Thanks for the new tips, Sandra. I'll be checking them out.

sandra seamans said...

Not a problem, Barbara. I've discovered that having the list here is a lot easier than flipping through my box of index cards to find a market.