Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Short Stories

With this post, I'm putting my blog where my mini-rant at SMFs took me. In short ( no pun intended ) I said that writers should post links to short stories on their blogs. They should take the time to point out stories and zines and writers that blew them away in some way. It's good press for the zines and authors both.

My pick today is a short story published in Demolition, the link is for the entire archives because the stories there are all top-notch. Just scroll down, the stories are in alphabetical order by title. My pick is "The Saint of Gunners" by Todd Robinson. The story just went nowhere I expected it to, something every short story should do. As readers, just sit back and enjoy the ride. As writers, take time to study it. It's a harsh, bittersweet story that'll squeeze the breath out of you.

http://www.demolitionmag.com/demolitionarchives.htm

And a quote from Raymond Carver

"At the risk of appearing foolish, a writer sometimes needs to be able to just stand and gape at this or that thing - a sunset or an old shoe - in absolute and simple amazement."

1 comment:

David Cranmer said...

I agree wholeheartedly in supporting our peers. It's also disheartening to see so many e-zines folding. I'm reading the latest Yellow Mama edition which is just wonderful. I will get to Todd Robinson's story this week.